Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Pandemic
Phased re-opening of Buchanan Dental Care
From 2pm, on Tuesday 23rd June 2020 , we will be permitted to take over the job of providing limited urgent and emergency care face-to-face in our own practice.
Unfortunately, this does not mean that we will be open for routine dental care- far from it. Due to limited supplies of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) we have been restricted to opening only 1 surgery and only seeing 10 patients per day. We must try to keep the limited appointments available for the patients in most need.
We apologize that we are still only able to offer such a reduced service. We appreciate that this is less than ideal, but we must abide by the decisions of the Scottish Government and the Chief Dental Officer. Their decisions are taken with your general health and that of our dental staff as paramount.
Call 01236 423862 if you have a dental emergency or urgent dental problem. Appointments may be made ONLY by phone.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THE PRACTICE WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT- YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN
Genuine DENTAL EMERGENCIES are as follows, and will be given priority:
- Significant dental swelling which is worsening
- Uncontrollable bleeding from the mouth
- Dental trauma (e.g. tooth has been knocked out)
- Sever dental pain, not controllable with painkillers and antibiotics
Examples of urgent problems that we can help with, but you may have to wait a few days:
- Dental pain that can be relieved with painkillers
- Crowns/bridges out
- Broken fillings
- Broken teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Denture problems
We will endeavour to see everyone who has a problem as soon as we can, but bear in mind that we have to comply with the restrictions that have been imposed upon us.
Please note that we are unable to carry out Aerosol-Generating Procedures in the practice- you may have to be referred to an emergency hub for certain treatments.
Please accept our heartfelt apologies that we can’t help you sooner with more routine dental problems- and be sure in the knowledge that we will fully open again as soon as it is safe to do so. We are doing everything we can to keep you-and ourselves- healthy
Attending Our Practice Under COVID-19 Restrictions-
In order to keep our patients and staff safe, we have had to introduce some changes to the way you can visit the practice.
- To prevent the spread of COVID-19 it is essential that if you have any symptoms of COVID infection you do not attend your appointment. If you require urgent dental care, arrangements can be made at a local hub where there is provision to deal with you with the required level of PPE in place.
- Appointments available only for emergency and urgent dental problems at the moment, and appointment must be made by phone
- Prior to your appointment you will be triaged over the telephone to assess your COVID-19 risk level
- A secure SMS(text) will be sent to you with a link to enable you to update your medical history electronically before attending the practice
- We ask that you attend the practice alone(unless an escort or guardian is essential)
- Our door will be locked- a secure SMS(text) will be sent to you with a link to enable you check-in, and we’ll come and unlock the door
- Please try not arrive too early. Aim to arrive no more than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- Please practice social distancing while in the practice- the waiting room has been re-arranged with seats 2 metres apart to help with this
- Patients will be asked to use a touch-free hand-sanitizer at the reception desk on arrival
- Plastic screens have now been installed at the reception desk, and floor markers placed to help you maintain social distancing
- The same high standard of infection control with some additional measures will be in place.
- Please adhere to social distancing markings on the floor.
- We recommend that you visit the bathroom prior to your visit, as our toilets will be locked
- If payment is required, this can also be done by secure SMS link or contactless card payment. We regret that we cannot accept cash payments currently
- All NHS emergency treatment will be free of charge
Patients who are shielding and in need of urgent dental care
- Many of our patients fall into this group due to age or health conditions. We want you to know that we can still offer you assistance.
- One of our dentists can discuss your dental problem over the phone or via video call and try to resolve it for you.
- Alternatively if you do require to be seen we would arrange for an appointment for you early in the day before any other patients have attended the practice.
- Please call our reception team and they will be happy to help you.